Monday, June 2, 2014

here come bad news talking this and that (yeah!) well give me all you got, don't hold me back (yeah!) well i should probably warn you i'll be just fine (yeah!) no offense to you, don't waste your time...

I've had a few people ask, "what inspired you to start the playlist?"

The morning of the first surgery (you know, the one where we were removing the benign lump) we were listening to the radio in the car on the way to the hospital. NPR, which is my usual jam (HEY. Don't knock it til you've tried it...) wasn't delivering that morning. I think it was pledge week? So I tuned to my second favorite station, 91.7 KXT. This is the most eclectically awesome station I have ever had the pleasure of listening to. That morning, Bob Marley's "Three Little Birds" was playing. I thought to myself, YES, the radio is speaking to me. Every little thing is gonna be alright.

The next song came on, and I was even more convinced.  It was Pharell's "Happy". I know everyone out there is so over this song, but I WILL NEVER BE OVER THIS SONG. Even thinking about it makes me want to get up and dance. And do dishes. Or something. Third song was, Justin Timberlake "Not A Bad Thing". At this point I am just over the top happy. It was time for surgery.

You all know what happened next, but what happened right after "next" was that I couldn't get "Three Little Birds" out of my head. It played on a constant loop. Comforting me. Telling me not to worry.

Saturday night we were at my parents house. I told them about my song that was always on repeat in my head. My mom couldn't place the song, so I started to sing it for her, "don't worry, about a thing, cause every little thing..." My voice cracked. I was trying so hard to believe that every little thing was going to be alright, but I couldn't quite make it believable. Fake it til you make it, people.


can y'all believe my mama made these for me!? my three little birds are always singing me "sweet songs, melodies pure and true..."


The next day, the song was still coursing through my brain. I have recently become obsessed with spotify, and the seemingly endless selection of music. I have many different playlists. One (titled: childhood) is just all the old records that Kathryn and I used to play dress up and dance to in our living room (The Pink Panther, Hello Dolly, The Sting, Oklahoma...)  I have a playlist of the CD's Ma had at her house that we would listen to while playing ping pong (Mahalia Jackson, Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys...)

I decided to compile my happy songs into a playlist that made me feel strong, or at least "better." Three Little Birds, Happy, Katy Perry - Roar. If you noticed, I titled the blog, "Dancing through the Fire." That is straight up plagiarized from Ms. Perry, herself "I've got the eye of the tiger, a fighter, dancing through the fire, cause I am a champion, and you're gonna hear me roar!" Then Sidney's plate showed up on my desk. "Just Beet it."

I realized I was on to something with this playlist. Music is such a powerful thing. I was in band for *cough* 12 years *cough* so I know a lot of music people. I was just sitting on this beautiful, untapped resource. I wrote the blog, and asked for songs, and man oh man have y'all delivered.

The playlist is currently 381 songs, clocking in at 24 hours and 11 minutes. That's an ENTIRE FREAKING DAY of strength and happiness. I listen to it every day, and dance in my chair at work. I feel like I already have the cancer beat, y'all. It's just incredible. Thank you everyone for sending in your happy songs. I'm always accepting additions, so send them in! And yes, I actually add all of them. If I can find it on spotify, then I add it. That's the rule.

Playlist fun facts:

Most suggested song: Mandisa - Overcomer
Most suggested artist: The Beatles - who unfortunately are not on spotify. :( I'm finding lots of fun cover songs.

Love y'all,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment